- July 3, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Nccp Expansions
Subsequent to last year’s agreement for a $20 million expansion for the National Community Connector Program (NCCP), the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) announced on the 2nd of July, 2020 of its decision to move ahead with the expansion plan.
The minister of the NDIS, Stuart Robert, Federal Member for Herbet, Philip Thompson OAM M and Townsville NDIS Partner in the Community Feros Care, met in Townsville were the announcement was made.
The following four population groups have been the main focus of an ongoing connectors program linking service:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- People Experiencing psychological disabilities
- Ageing Parents or Carers of People with Disability
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities
This is going to enable better support for Australians in remote locations and use the urban and rurally located service providers to spread accessibility, said the minister.
‘As trusted community members, Community Connectors will play a critical role in reaching out to people with disability in these harder-to-reach communities, increasing awareness of the NDIS and providing support for people to access the Scheme,’ Mr Robert said.
‘We made a promise to deliver this program nationally, and as of today, we are now delivering the expanded National Community Connector program in urban and regional locations across Australia. These organizations have been selected to deliver the Community Connector program because of their bonds across these communities and specialized understanding of the issues and support needed.’
The NCCP in association with NDIS Partners selected the following organizations for delivering the service base:
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organization
- Federation of Ethnic Communities Councils of Australia
- National Ethnic Disability Alliance Mental Health Australia
- Mental Health Australia
- First Peoples Disability Network
The program incorporates use of in-language webinars and radio programs, on-call service and support options as part of a greater virtual connectors initiative also in the pipeline.